Monday, February 23, 2009

Saving Trash

I read a story on the Mother Jones website about a Hollywood cameraman, Dave Chameides, who is storing trash in his basement for a year. He started in January and sorts through his trash to see what can be reused, recycled or fed to worms. It's said that the average person disposes of 4.6 pounds of trash a day, but Chamdides thinks one can live happily with only disposing one pound a day. I think he makes a good point. I think we all dispose of so much garbage that we don't realize what it is doing to our planet. I think it would be hard to only dispose one pound of garbage a day, but I think its due able. I think people are just to lazy to try to make the planet better by recycling and reusing items, so they just throw everything away without thinking of its consequences.

2 comments:

  1. I think this man has a really good thing going for him. I also agree that people, including myself, are far most wasteful than is truly needed. Our planet is headed for trouble without a doubt if we continue at the rate we are going. If only more people would be as dedicated as he is, a lot of good could be done. Athough its a good thought, I have a feeling that a more world wide way to get rid of waste will be needed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki -- Your reading selections are good -- varied, interesting, valuable to you for learning about the world. Slumdog -- the BEST! I loved it. And the producrs really did help the kids with education and homes.

    ReplyDelete